Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Heroes at Nationals from an (insider's) outsider perspective.

HUC had a truly outstanding representation at Nationals across a number of teams.  Given I was able to play with and against a few of you, I thought I'd give a brief review of what I saw.

Quoll
Dan and Gavin acquitted themselves in outstanding manner with the Tassie team.  They both slotted seamlessly into the structure of Quoll and had a number of critical and inspiring moments on both O and D.  Dan was his usual irrepressible self, constantly cutting hard and going for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th efforts.  Dan took a crucial layout grab backing up for a poor throw, and Quoll went on to score the point.  Gavin similarly had fantastic positioning throughout the weekend, with very solid throwing and catching.  Although an injury slowed him down in a few games, a standout moment was a great read and top-of-the-jump D off a threatening throw.

Firestorm Ignition
Playing for 15th was a fierce and competitive game, and I got to see a few Heroes in action that I hadn't seen before.  Jamie had a great game, taking a number of fantastic grabs and getting a D or two at critical moments. His talent is very clear and it will be good to watch him become a superstar. Adam Dowley was solid in handling and a lynchpin of Ignition's attack.  Safe hands at the back with reliable throws, it's great to see Adam at HUC.
Sebastian continues to improve every time I see him play and this was no exception.  He took two super grabs that I can recall, one a full stretch layout to score.  In this game, Sebastian's confidence and assuredness was the most improved aspect of his game.
Although I was often too busy grinding my teeth to notice the opposition, I do recall Chris using his super-leap and hands of iron to take a screamer of a one-handed catch above a pack of friend and foe alike, all of whom where comparatively standing still.
Super-sub Carl came on for a point, and I had the pleasure of marking him.  Ignition scored, and I didn't shut Carl down well enough, so he takes the points on that one. Apparently two stuffed ankles trumps a tweaked hamstring.

The Betties
To my chagrin and disappointment, I didn't get to watch any of the Heroes girls playing at Nationals.  The feedback I got was they enjoyed themselves and got a lot out of it. I'd love to hear more from those who played/watched.

It is great to see so many HUC players out and about at national tournaments.  I can't wait for more!

(apologies to anyone I missed)

5 comments:

  1. I would love to see a post from one of the ladies in regards to the Red Betty experience, but here is a brief run down of what I saw.

    Vs. Southside Swans: I saw 85-90% of this game and had a big grin of excitement on my face as the Red Betty girls took it to the 10th seed with beautiful style. I remember thinking at least half a dozen times, 'Red Betty will win this!' but unfortunately the Swans closed the game out 13-9. Brianna (if my memory serves me correctly) was injured by this stage but from all reports played outstandingly when she could still run. Robyn and Adilia both looked very confident in handling positions making countless great passes. Jo was a standout receiver making the unders look easy and taking grabs over defenders in the end zone. Alana, Chantelle and Vanessa played solidly in the midfield, with fast cuts and comfortable grabs. There were also standout performances by the non-Heroes Carla, Izzy and Bronwyn.

    Vs. Squadron: The Brisbane girls must have started slowly. I only caught the end of this game by which point it was already 13-1 or so. Red Betty had a great close to this game though scoring at least two more before Squadron reached 15. One of those was a very smooth goal by Alana.

    Well done ladies!

    Male Heroes you missed: Bevan was for mine the standout player for Ignition in their pool match vs. Slamtown. His throws were accurate and he took a number of beautiful grabs. Also two recent Heroes BUML recruits Guarin and Wazza were in great form for Ignition. And Heroes BPL stars Silent George, Jangles and Myall scored a whole stack of points for Firestorm playing top notch receiving games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is this mission accomplished for the HUC 2011-2015 Strategic Plan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeh I fell a bit rejected :( but how would huddy know we are on a 5 year plan to destroy all reference to the huddy heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only caught the last point of the showcase, and the last point of another Firestorm game, so couldn't really comment. If I had, I'm sure I would have been glowing of your immaculate prowess Jangles. That 5 year plan will have to start now, you um....mentioned it again.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fine Huddy, But you better watch out for george. He is probably sitting at home secretly plotting how he is going to wipe huddy of the map. Probably something small like blow up Tassie, you never know with the silent ones.

    ReplyDelete