Saturday, May 1, 2010

Picking up on a public holiday: you can too!

I thought I might pop my posting cherry by reviewing the pickup match from Monday and to inform everyone about the khaos that is Frisbee this Labour Monday.
After the long weekend of too much junk food and beer, I was looking forward to a chance to run around and play some Frisbee. Unfortunately Monday being a public holiday there were no scheduled games except a promise of a pickup match. And I thought great, a chance for Heroes to get out and play with some differently people, maybe learn a few new tricks or to show off our improvements in a less serious more fun environment. Alas it seemed most people didn’t get the memo or shrugged it off as a waste of time.
The turnout overall wasn’t super except maybe from the Bermuda Triangle camp but this lead to us being able to play on a single full sized field which ensured lots of long, open points and many chances to get glory points from hucks to the endzone. It was a little difficult to get some run at the start but being a 2.5hr match it got better and I definitely felt wrecked by the end. Craig was the standout player of the night in my opinion. He was quick on the cuts both short and long, and never seemed to stop running. Maybe it was the headband that made him look like a Canadian all-star player that helped lift his game. Or perhaps it was that there actually was someone on his team who could throw well to him. I kid Discheads.
I would mention some highlights from the Heroes players in attendance but it was the usual razzle dazzle from the players and there were too many to list them all. Although I will mention the disappointment I had in myself though at one stage. I was standing towards the centre of the field when I saw a person on my team free and calling for it a little deeper than me and out on his own. As the throw went up to him I instantly realised that the throw was a little bit wild and would go over the players head. I started to run to try and salvage something from the error and I was in the perfect position to layout and make a spectacular grab. The disc seemed to just be floating on the spot, seducing me to go for it. Unfortunately I lacked the bravado and came up short on the disc.
This Monday sees something a little bit different going down for BUML. Adilia is organising a Krazy Khaos Kapers Semi-Continuous Ultimate tourney. It is at Annerley field starting at 7pm and going until 9.30pm. Need to bring a white and dark coloured shirt. It will be ultimate in a form that many of us have never experienced before, featuring a series of short (~20min) games of continuous Frisbee. It would be fantastic to see as many heroes there as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Except if you had caught it and decided to layout, it would have been a turn over cause you cant throw it to yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't a throw from me but just as I was standing near the stack and reading the flow of the game

    ReplyDelete