Thursday, April 1, 2010

WE WON.... the afl.

I managed to catch the last quarter of the Lions game on ABC radio (I don't have a functioning TV) after disc tonight - and boy was it exciting!! In true Lions fashion, we were down at three quarter time, kicked a couple beauts, and momentum saw us home. WHAT A GAME! And even though I don't play for or train with the Lions, I still feel like a winner, just for supporting them. It was good to have one win tonight.

In our defeat against Passion however, I still don't feel like a loser as such. It was a tightly contested first half - our intensity and focus were leaps and bounds above the levels seen in the previous week's game against Slamtown. This contributed to a greater self-belief amongst the Heroes, meaning significantly fewer basic errors. James 'Panties' Morrell won my award (given in my head during an illustrious yet lengthy ceremony) for enthusiasm tonight. He was switched on, and very keen to run - snagging himself an outstanding D in the latter stages of the game after initially being beaten by a brilliant cut. Back in the first half though, we saw time and again Myall's speed going long, and his wonderful timing in the air. He took numerous grabs in the end zone over guys seemingly twice his height! Heroes defense was also at its finest, making the experienced Passion team earn their points. And after having the lead on more than one occasion we hit half time down by 2 (8-6), still very much in the game.

The second half saw Heroes defense continuing strong. And although George perfectly executed countless first cuts, the rest of the stack was getting sloppy - cutting out of time and generating picks. This was possibly due to only having one sub this week (with some players being at the aforementioned Lions game), but definitely a call to greater mental and physical stamina for us Heroes. Not being able to finish many points led to Passion showing us the form of a strong BPL team, dominating the second half 7-2, resulting in a final score of 15-8.

Now although it was an easy victory for Passion in the end, I still feel as though we put in a solid effort, and very much held our own (for a while). As of tomorrow, in an attempt to improve my personal game, I will start doing hard sums while cycling long distances. I would encourage all Heroes to do the same.

For now though I suppose all I can do is continue with my celebrations over the Lions win. Here's cheers!

Gavin.

7 comments:

  1. From where I was watching you guys you seemed to be holding passion steady all night. My cobras game finished under time cap (DRAW) and you guys were still playing so it seemed to me that Heroes must at least have been making it hard to score quickly.

    Grats to Gav on a great endzone catch on the near endzone, i saw it between points, it was def a high class score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yer Myall's hops are massive. GG heroes. Well done Passion on a solid second half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to cut that jangles chump i didn't see him do anything all night!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Jangles, Id hate to say it but I'd be guessing your the one keeping the team as close as the first half scores suggest or am I wrong

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you are right Carl, Jangles is invaluable to the Heroes assualt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will be interesting to see how Heroes go in their game 2 days before Nats against Dojo when all Nats players (ie. Jangles & George) are not meant to be playing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will indeed be interesting to see how Heroes go without Jangles and George. I think it will force the rest of us to have some confidence in ourselves and step up.

    That first 15-3 loss was bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete