Friday, November 19, 2010

Keeping up with the BUB

This was actually on my mind about 2 days ago, and now JdR has revisited his nickname poll. Our club/friends has/have a certain style of dishing out nicknames. I think I'm pretty responsible for a few of them. Spaz was my invention, or should I say, evolution, as was Hans, and I was certainly around the traps when Mick became Rick.

The trick is evolution. Take the name one step further. So as a 10 year old, when the kids were calling Sebastian Seb, or Sebas.. it seemed easy to progress / digress to Spaz. I'm sorry Spaz. It's only been 15 years.

Hanz is a more modern evolution. Her friends were calling her "Lans". One night I said "Oh hurro Hanz!", in the style and manner of Kim Jong Il as portrayed so brilliantly in Team America. So Alana is now named after the Swedish Diplomat, Hans Blix, not this Hans or this hans.

Rick happened when Sebastian started putting an R before people's names. What an odd thing to do! I was Rhinny for a while, which is of course short for Dinny which comes from Danny from Daniel. You could even say Ring Dings. Or Pepsi. But I digress. The brilliant thing about Rick is that we have an Uncle Rick, who is quite popular in UQ religion and philosophy circles and google searches for Strelan.

Matt Boevink apparently had a good nickname like this once...

8 comments:

  1. I think ever since the evolution of Spaz (Brown) he has been taking it out on the rest of his world, starting from his family.

    Take for example his brother Chris. For a while there he would be called Zinedine Zidogg, after French footballer Zinedine Zidane. I'm not quite sure where that association came, nor how the next association came but not long after that he was named "Muff dog". I think James "panties" Morrell had something to do with this. From there he was also named "Slumdog", or "Slumdog millionaire". He was then named "Young Chunghop" after a universal remote control I bought from Hong Kong. Nowadays he is most frequently called "Ceease!"

    Next we take a look at Sebastian's sisters, Vanessa and Nicole. Vanessa has been referred to as Vincat, Vin Diesel, V-dogg and Veni Vidi Vici while Nicole takes on a soft "c" sound making her name rhyme with "Rissole".

    He then goes on and takes it further, as per Dstrel's notes above, renaming his fellow house mates. Taking it to the frisbee field he calls Brianna "Briatch" which I think is very rude.

    And finally, the subject that I will be eaten alive for bringing up, his girlfriend Chantelle. Don't ever call her Chantelly-tubby. In fact none of the following names will sit well.

    Champs-Élysées
    Chantelier
    Chantelekinesis
    4Chan
    Chan-pagne (or Chan-pain)
    C-pain
    C-girl (pronounced like Seagull)

    And there you have it. Evidence that Spaz was really pissed about the nick name. I mean what the heck Daniel, didn't he even break your arm over it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like life is V-messy so clean it up with Nessy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sebastian = Seabass. My favourite, thanks James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the in-text linking Dstrel

    ReplyDelete
  5. James

    1. That comment is very nerdy.

    2. Wouldn't you much prefer to make up your own mind whether or not the link opens in a new window/tab? I certainly would. I would most likely ctrl+click the link anyway. The link would be available in a new tab, but would not have stolen focus on the current page I was looking at.

    3. target="_blank" is invalid HTML.

    PS. I tried to add a secret target attribute to that link above with the value "open_this_in_a_new_window_you_stupid_fu....." but I got an error "Your HTML cannot be accepted: Attribute "TARGET" is not allowed in tag: A"

    ReplyDelete