Thursday, October 28, 2010

Who got you into Ultimate?

With the recent mention of Dan receiving the AFDA recruiter of the year, I had been eagerly awaiting the official nod from the AFDA website before creating this post. But seeing how BPL is cancelled due to rain and I just got off the phone with James 'Panties' VP who confirmed this award (there is even a certificate and everything), I figured that tonight was as good a night as any type it up.

So, as club president I take great honour in congratulating Daniel 'dstrel-ds-d-danny boy-nugget' Strelan in his receival of AFDA recruiter of the year. It is a deserved aknowledgement for his infectious enthusiasm and encouragement towards new people getting involved. The Heroes club owes so much of its current health to Dan. And as a club we are truly greatful for and humbled by his efforts.

On a personal note, I wouldn't take any of this frisbee stuff as seriously as I do now if it weren't for Dan's suggestion of playing at the upper level and recruiting me into the Heroes BPL team. Before then it was purely a social thing for me (and there's nothing wrong with that!) but these past 12 months have been an eye opener to what ultimate can be. I saw the competitive side of the disc, and as a result I'm fitter and stronger than I've ever been. I've enjoyed my captaincy of div2 Agent Orange, and have even completed the level 1 coaching course. I've asked questions about club incorporation and helped facilitate that process to this point, finding myself elected as club president. I have visions and ideas for the future in regards to this little heroes club particularly involving growth and the contagious inclusiveness that ultimate breeds. More than ever, I appreciate the community of players in brisbane that is not dependant on what team you play for or how good you are, and find myself wanting to be involved as much as possible. This is all the result of Dan putting the idea forward of playing more than just 1 hour on a monday night. It wasn't even something that I jumped at right away - he had to put in some decent effort to persuade and encourage me. Obviously however this is something that Dan is good at, as I know that I'm not the only one who has found themselves loving frisbee because of his enthusiasm (natural recruiting ability).

This leads me onto my last point and title of this post. Who got you into ultimate? Was it Dan? Or someone else? Think about how thankful you are that they did/how much you love playing disc. If it's VERY THANKFUL/A LOT for you then why not show your appreciation by shouting them a beer next time you get the chance. (This may result in a very drunk Dan at the next Heroes 5P's beer and burger night!) Now although Dan sparked my 'ultimate awakening' the person responsible for getting me into it in the first place was my older brother Russ who showed me how to play this continuous, minimal rules version of the game that he had learnt from some visiting americans. He now laughs a bit when he sees how much I love playing the real thing, and that it is an actual sport. I let him know what it means to me, and what he means to me. It's important.

Congratulations once again to Dan 'AFDA-recruiter-of-the-year' Strelan, and a personal thank you for watering my seed.

6 comments:

  1. watering my seed sounds a bit wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was walking up one of the glasshouse mountains when I was about 15, and saw some guys throwing forehands and hammers in a carpark. It looked so cool, I found out how to do it, then followed the dots to our wonderful sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah "Sass" Cargill taught me my first forehand back in 2005. From there i was thrown into a team with like of a young raw Mike Nield and Beth Rougier for uni games 2005. I was hook after that taking some time to fix my injuries and then playing my first nats the following year.(couldn't throw a forehad still times have changed)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it was the same Americas as Gavin who introduced me to the concept of using a plastic plate to play a sport with. But it was those Strelan boys (both Dstrel and Rick) who got me to play in my first BUML team. Cheers to those two.
    But more than that, it was the spirited culture that was created within the Heroes group. People like Sean, Luke and silent. Yes it was Dstrel and rick who sparked my flame, but importantly if it wasn't for the rest of the team, helping me enjoy playing, I wouldn't have continued.
    There was been much private talk about creating a team culture within Heroes (esp with women) but I would like to think it exists - at least for the green branded heroes. I know others have told me that playing for A/O isn't the same as pulling on the green. Then when others elsewhere have go's at the Heroes for not 'learning how to run', I remind myself that its the spirited culture that keeps me playing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike Neild and Harry Birrell. Infectious enthusiasm from Mike, and an ever-growing berating from Harry... and getting sick of not being able to hold a beer and throw at the same time at all the bbq's. Got that very important skill under control now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TomSteve - also the man who got me into Heroes, at a later date.
    He couldn't stop raving about this awesome sport he'd just found, where everyone who played was either drunk, stoned, or recovering from both.
    Needless to say, I felt obliged to check out this sport of kings. And even though it took me 2+ years to throw a decent forehand, I was hooked from my first game.

    ReplyDelete