Monday, October 18, 2010

And the Lord said "Let there be sun for three days straight" and there was Frisbee.

What a terrible last month this has been for Frisbee in South East Queensland. Following Queensland's wettest September on record October has continued the trend of raining out events and causing general depression throughout the population.

First we go back to September 21 where Heroes and Discheads were originally meant to have their showdown for second place which started the tradition of beers and burgers at Archive. Then we experienced rain just about every weekend, making it near impossible to get out on the bike or have a throw. Then we have the cancellation of the South Bank to Southport 100km bike ride which was immediately followed by the second cancellation of Heroes vs DiscHeads, which led to the second episode of beers and burgers at Archive. This night even saw the likes of JdR, and he liked it so much he even mentioned Carl on BUB the next day.

This lack of play caused Heroes to have a down right shocker against Slamtown Flatball Club on Thursday night and the slippery weather contributed to a controversial incident involving an SFC player, a Heroes player, a grand stand and a visible shin bone.

And then there was sunshine (and a shit load of wind), and the sunshine persisted. For it is written that tonight is the night that Heroes take the win over Discheads once and for all. Believe it? Or do you have to be there to see it. I know I will be. Get your tips in for an all-time BUML first on the BUB site.

EDIT: Discheads have a bye tonight. Don't I look like a fool?

On a side note Heroes had our first ever AGM on Saturday - I'm sure more details will be released in another blog post.

8 comments:

  1. Best linking ever, Rick.

    But have you checked the draw?

    It has changed.

    Agent Orange play GoGo's at Griffith
    Heroes play GWW at Annerley.

    Discheads have A BYE!!

    This must be frustrating for the DH's. It is rumoured that The Fox organised this because he has an exam (John Coorey said this). Might be inaccurate, and there might be more to the story, but it doesn't seem appropriate or fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just adds to the drama and build up of the game dosent it? For what could potentially be the game of the season to acertain final standings. Or maybe the game of the season was Heroes win over exquisite? :P

    All I know another 2 weeks of waiting until we get the chance to line up against each other. That bites. and I heard on the rumour mill Bev is annoyed cause now he wont get to play, unless he finds a pick up somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn straight I'm annoyed. There is no frisbee on Thursday either, and then nothing next Monday.

    If Discheads have a bye and all other teams have the chance for a win, doesn't that affect standings at the end of the season anyway? Or has everyone else had two byes as well. If not then it means we have one less game and potentially one less win than the other top teams. This affects the final standings greatly.

    Is there anyone who needs a male pickup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another rumour is that there is a Metallica concert on tonight, that according to Facebook, Chris Fox is attending... the plot thickens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O-M...G

    So yeah I think AO had two byes but it's doubtful that all teams played the same number of games

    if they haven't, an average should be adopted, ala bpl last season with byes and rainouts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here here. The ladder suggests it is only Discheads and A/O who have had 2 byes compared to everyone elses 1. Another way to work it is that a bye gives you a win instead of working out averages...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HERE WE GO:

    Because we played 15 weeks of regular season with only 13 teams, two needs need to have 2 bye weeks. The two extra byes were given out randomly. I literally had a coworker pick names out of a hat to decide who would have a second bye. First she picked AO a couple of weeks ago and then she picked DHs last week. Needless to say I was very disappointed when she drew Discheads out of the hat but that was all I could do. I wasn't about to use my awesome power for evil, as much as I wanted to.

    When I do up the ladder I treat byes as ties so you do get some points for them. That seems to be the fairest way to deal with it.

    We decided to flip the Oct 11th games to Nov 1st and leave the previously scheduled Oct 18th games on the 18th, rather than push everything back another week which often causes confusion, especially for the Div1 teams which had their Oct 18th games posted a long time ago.

    AS FOR THE RUMOURS ABOVE:
    I was supposed to have an exam on Monday (not Tuesday so it would not have affected my playing Monday night) but it has been delayed. Regardless I would not have arranged the games around my schedule. And I certianly would not have said anything like "If I can't play then no one gets to" or "I'm taking my ball/frisbee/nets and going home". Especially considering that I had to give DHs a bye which will never be replaced, not just moving their game to a more convenient night for me.

    And as always:
    IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY THE SCHEDULE IS HOW IT IS, JUST ASK ME (0416 859 376) AND I WILL TELL YOU. Reading rumours and bad things about me on this blog hurts my feelings.

    BTW, METALLICA were amamzing and well worth missing many many Frisbee games. For me it was an event more than 20 years in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry chris

    good to hear, especially the metallica part :D

    ReplyDelete